Action research is a systematic way of problem solving by completing an in depth study. An in depth study would be one of which various resources are looked at and then applied to a person's specific situation. As a follow up, a reflection would be done to allow for modifications as necessary. If time is not allowed for reflection, how would a person know the true benefits of the study?
In my current position as an Instructional Specialist, I can use action research in a number of ways. First of all, I can use it to analyze what strategies can be taught to improve comprehension. I can also use it to figure out ways to decrease the amount of tardies that occur daily. We need all of our students to begin their day on time. Finally, I can use action research to figure out strategies for developing oral language skills.
In my professional career thus far, it has usually been a challenge for me to allow time for reflection. I want to keep charging ahead to the next issue just because I have put a plan into action. This week as I was reading, I am glad that I read about how administrators must schedule time for reflection in their work day. This will prove to be a helpful suggestion for me.
I think educational leaders can use blogs to help them feel connected. Bloggers can communicate on a daily basis with other professionals from all over the world and hear about how things are being done in schools. Blogging is a superb way of brainstorming and sharing ideas to increase student success.
I agree that blogging is a great way to stay connected. I'm already enjoying reading everyone's blogs. Can't wait until they have information about the action research going on!
ReplyDeleteI have decided that I will complete my action research on the importance of mentoring new teachers. My administrator wants me to meet with them before school starts and every 4-6 weeks thereafter to have a question and answer time. She also wants me to write them notes of encouragement to put in their boxes every couple of weeks.
ReplyDeleteBy having several opportunities to meet with the new teachers and have a discussion time, they should feel a sense of belonging and their amount of stress should be reduced. The faculty will benefit because they will not be using their conference times to explain things to their new co-workers. Because the new teachers stress levels will not be as high, their students should receive better teaching and more positive interactions with their teachers.